An Open Letter to Nicky Morgan, Education Secretary



In light of the recent comments by the Education Secretary, Nicky Morgan that young people people choosing arts based subjects to study would be "held back the rest of their lives", I decided to write this letter to her. 

Please feel free to share.

Hx


Dear Ms Morgan,

Recently you had the opportunity to speak at a campaign launch in support of the STEM subjects. Whilst I am pleased that you are showing support for those subjects, I was dismayed to learn that you alienated and dismissed the Arts and Humanities in your speech by stating that young people who choose to study in those fields would be "held back the rest of their lives". Not only is this a damaging statement during a time (now more than ever) the Arts are suffering from huge financial cut backs both in the industry and in education but also because as Education Secretary, you are supposed to represent and support the diversity of learning.I genuinely would like to know why you think (and these are your words I believe) that "the subjects that keep young people’s options open and unlock doors to all sorts of careers are the STEM subjects”?  but not the Arts and Humanities.

I can tell you that the skills of public speaking, problem solving and critical thinking to name a few, which I am sure you do on a regular basis, would have had its foundations in your Arts & Humanities education at school. Your private school might I add,  as I also had the fortune of having a similar education and therefore know it has diversity and freedom in curriculum....something it seems you have lost track of on your life journey and should be encouraging in the mainstream education for all to benefit from. There are many organisations and projects actively encouraging young people’s engagement in the Arts & Humanities, they do not need those young people hearing that it is not a diverse career path option.

I am sure I do not need to reiterate that media platforms you and others in government use to voice your policies fall under the umbrella of the Arts.  In fact, while we are on career options, it could be argued that without those who have chosen Media as their career path, you would not have a platform to be heard. I know many people that have studied Arts & Humanities based subjects at school and quite often up to A Level who have gone on to become Lawyers, Doctors, Bankers in their chosen career path. I studied Arts & Humanities based subjects at school which I furthered by studying Drama at University.  I have since worked as a recruitment consultant, administrator, producer and now writer, my doors and options are certainly unlocked and open.

Albert Einstein once said that “All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree” . He is a man known largely within the sciences that acknowledges the arts encourage creativity and imagination. We all know without those foundations, research in the STEM subjects would not have its boundaries pushed to find the next treatment in medicine or the next kit of technology that enhances our society.

So Ms Morgan, the STEM subjects and Arts & Humanities are continuously trying to bridge the gap why aren't you?

I look forward to hearing your response


Hazel Thomas

Comments

Popular Posts