The Theatricality of Makeup



 I'll hold my makeup bush up and admit that I'm not very good when it comes to makeup, it only really happens when I try and remind myself to look vaguely human but the saying is true about looking good outside, feel good inside.....definitely a reason worth doing for. The origins of makeup lie with tribes who would paint their faces for war or celebration and still do, then kings and priests would also for official ceremonies across the years. In the theatre, makeup has seen a huge evolution, from the Greeks having painted masks to symbolise the characters they played to full face theatrical makeup. It is used as an extension of a character, a way of highlighting the emotional as well as physical elements of a character. So how about when makeup goes beyond making you look and feel good?  when it becomes a character of its own or part of creating one in life or for art. This I felt when I came across the work of Spanish born Eva Senín Pernas. 

Chuchy5's Profile Picture
 © Eva SerníPernas

Eva’s background is in interior architecture which she studied at University but she’s always had a passion for photography. Last year Eva decided to follow another passion of hers, to become a makeup artist. Having always loved makeup, it is the combination of her photography and makeup skills that have become the main themes of Eva's work and what makes it so special.  Her wild and colourful designs are striking and unique, a sure way to bring out your inner diva. 

I was fortunate enough to interview Eva and find out more about her work.  

What inspired you to become a photographer and makeup artist? 

I've always had a passion for photography, and was on my 25th birthday when I finally had the opportunity to have my own camera, because till that moment I could only practice with my grandfather´s old camera. 
For me, photography means the ability to capture every special moment of your life so that not only lives in your mind, but also you can use that picture to revive a glance, a smile, or all those little details that the brain overlooked, but they show the true feelings of that time.
When I take a picture, I put in it a piece of my soul and with every shot I fell my grandfather a little closer to me.
Everything that I learned about makeup was self-taught. I remember when my mom bought me a small eyeshadow palette, a lipgloss and a Kevin Aucoin's book when I was 15...That was the beginning of all this makeup obsession. I started trying simple makeups...but the more I practiced, the more I wanted to try more difficult designs...

How did learn your art and get design ideas?

Grease Lightning © Eva SerníPernas 
Watermelon © Eva SerníPernas
Everything that I learned about makeup was self-taught. Most of my ideas come from simple things of my everyday life...I remember that my first design came up after watching "Grease" on TV...I saw the red car with those silver lightnings and thought : "Hey, why not?" Or my fruity series...they came up when I was drinking my breakfast's orange juice one morning...

Checkmate © Eva SerníPernas

Which celebrity would you love to photograph and do a makeover for? 

Wow...a lot of people say to me that Lady Gaga would love my makeup,lol! It could be great, but I love to photograph ordinary people...

Lady Gaga Inspired © Eva SerníPernas



What are your top tips for a great makeover ?

First of all I consider essential having clean and moisturized skin...a good makeup needs a good base. After that, only a winged eyeline,a nice lipstick could show all the beauty on a face. Less is more.

What are your future plans for your work?

I'd like that makeup and cosmetic photography would become my job. Working with cosmetic brands in advertising campaigns.

left to right - The Witch, Hades, Xmas, Music © Eva SerníPernas

You can see more of Eva's work on her website :  
http://chuchy5.deviantart.com/



Comments

Popular Posts