Winter Hygge : The Suffolk Way


You may have heard the Danish term 'hygge' being used a lot. Its a Danish word pronounced 'hoo -guh' and many Danes have described it as a feeling that is hard to translate. To broadly define, it is feelings invoked from being cosy and content in your surroundings and finding warmth and joy from the simple things in life as an individual and/or with friends/family. I am a coastal country girl and I have a immense appreciation for the beautiful natural surroundings of my home county Suffolk and the ways in which I spend my time here. Not sure how to create hygge ? I have made a list of the top 10 ways I do it the Suffolk Winter way, and not just at home.

Get your woolly sock boots on and hygge wishes to you all !


H x



1. Light a fire and/or candles

Lots of lovely candles of different shapes, sizes and smells as natural warm lighting is a key element in creating hygge. I can recommend these lovely ones from Shearer Candles to get you in the festive spirit, they have a great selection online. 
                                                                               




2.  Listen to some soothing music while having a bath

Again more candles to add to the atmosphere ! If you really want to get the natural vibe going, I would recommend sounds of the sea or a storm to make you feel extra snug like the one below.



3. Invite your friends round for nibbles and catch ups

I love this more than going out for dinner. An evening at home with friends sharing stories and playing parlour games over mulled wine, cheese boards and sharing platters.




4. Wrap up warm and take a walk

Whether its the beach, through fields or a park, getting outdoors in the cold is a great boost to our systems. You'll appreciate the warmth afterwards, so get your favourite winter garments on and go forth! Particular favourite places of mine to visit are Dunwich Heath near Saxmundham and Christchurch Park in Ipswich. After a brisk walk, I love popping by the Coastguard Cafe at Dunwich Heath or Fonnereau's Tea Rooms at the back of Christchurch Mansion. They both serve glorious cream tea and cakes.









5. Spend time with your pets

Cuddles with my cat Bronte and playing games with her is the best part of my days.


6. Do some Arts and Crafts

That jumper you wanted to knit, that piece of jewellery you've wanted to make but haven't found the time ? Whatever it is, the festive holiday is the perfect time for these activities. One of my festive project goals this year was to make book themed decorations to hang on my Christmas tree, below is my tree topper Angel to compete the final look. 

7. Curl up on a chair with a book and cup of hot soup

Winter goodness right there ! One of my soup favourites is the classic 'carrot and coriander' from the New Covent Garden Soup Co. collection. I have many bookmarks in many books currently but I will say that poetry always makes an appearance in my festive reading and it is a large part of how I create hygge. I can recommend a collection of poems titled 'Gold from the Stone' by Lemn Sissay


8. Getting layered up for ultimate comfort

Soft interiors alongside getting layered up in lounge clothing to match is the ultimate comfort. My Nordic socks from H&M are my favourite winter investment.

9. Cake....all the cake

Sweet treats are a must for creating hygge ! This is a yummy recipe I found online by Signe Johansen, author of 'How to Hygge' for Sticky Ginger Cake with a Clementine Glaze


10. Sip a hot drink in a cafe while watching the world go by

The pier at Southwold has stunning views but it can be rather cold and windy along the promenade. Enjoy a hot drink in a window seat at The Clockhouse Cafe, they make a tasty hot chocolate ! 







Comments

Popular Posts