2014 A Year in Review: Looking to the year ahead


As 2014 draws to close, it becomes a time to reflect on what has past and to make resolutions for the year ahead.

Like many I am sure, 2014 has brought highs and lows. I have had shared experiences with amazing friends and family, I have been challenged creatively, given and received smiles and shed tears. My black dog of depression decided to stick around for a few months in September, he likes to appear in the most unlikely of situations and drain me. When December came around, I had really lost sight of the point of living and knew I was hitting bottom. I also knew I had a choice to make, climb back up or stay down and after seeking help and with the support of loved ones, I can feel myself coming back to me.

My mental health line worker has been talking to me about listing aspirations which got me thinking about the year ahead and then I came across an article in The Guardian about the top 5 regrets people have on their death bed. I decided then I will not be making the usual resolutions of diets and exercise regimes, or any resolution for that matter. I am making personal aspirations instead and those top 5 regrets will be part of a continuing ones so they are not regrets but achievements one day.

The time will come when we all, as my father says to me, have to visit that great theatre in the sky. There will always be regrets and wishes as choices are made and we wonder about the other path not taken but the less we have the better, especially as they don't deserve to be taken up by those top 5 as they are the core of living a full life. So when the time comes, we can say "I did" or "I had" instead of "I wish".

Have a Happy New Year, may the year ahead bring you what you desire.

Hx

Comments

Popular Posts